- 1kg ripe plum tomatoes
- 1kg cherry tomatoes
- 2 x 400g Italian tinned tomatoes
- 2 tins tomato cocktail
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 Jalapeño chilli, roughly chopped
- 5 red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large bunch celery with leaves roughly chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch basil, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- Dash of soya sauce, smoked Tabasco and worcestershire sauce to taste
- 150ml brown sugar. You may need to add more, depending on the sweetness of the tomatoes
- 150ml Sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix together all ingredients and allow to stand for about 24 hours.
Liquidise and leave to strain through muslin cloth over a colander.
The liquid that comes through should be a clear blush colour.
Taste to check flavour – it should have a refreshing savoury tomato taste, but should not be too sharp.
Served chilled and garnished with cucumber and basil oil. Enjoy !
Happy experimenting and eating – enjoy!
Return to recipe menu